Updated on June 22, 2017
While other people think being a Muslim is being in a religion, it’s not entirely the case.
Muslims are the people who practice Islam. Islam is the religion practiced by Muslims which, by definition, is “a religion that believes in one God.”
Here are other Islam facts you don’t want to miss:
- The word Muslim means “one who surrenders peacefully to God.” The word Islam means “surrender” and “peace,” as well as “security.”
- Thus, being a Muslim can refer to anyone – not just Muslims – who surrendered peacefully to God.
- Islam is the second-largest religious community in the world.
- About 1/5 of the world’s entire population are Muslims.
- The largest number of Muslims lives in Indonesia.
- There are 6 beliefs a Muslim should have. One, a Muslim should believe in one God. Two, a Muslim should believe in all of God’s prophets. Three, a Muslim should believe in the original scriptures from David, Jesus, Moses, and Muhammad. Four, a Muslim should believe in angels. Five, a Muslim should believe in the Judgment Day and the afterlife. And six, a Muslim should believe in the divine decree: “Everything good or bad comes from God. Moments of happiness or sadness come from God. Feelings of pleasure or pain come from God.”
- The importance of prayers in Islam ultimately lies in one fact: “No matter what one does in his life, the most important thing is his relationship to God.”
- There are three religions that share the same kind of beliefs, prophets, and history: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- The three religions that share the same kind of beliefs, prophets, and history also originated in the Middle East.
- Jesus is an important figure in the Quran. However, Muslims don’t believe that Jesus is the son of God. On another note, they believe in Jesus’ birth through the Virgin Mary and through the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus is considered one of God’s prophets. He is also considered second to Muhammad when it comes to importance.
- Mary, Jesus’ mother, is the only woman stated in the Quran. She is mentioned more in the Quran as compared to the Bible’s New Testament.